All the pieces you must know for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Collection race at Michigan, the twenty third regular-season occasion of the 2022 marketing campaign.
Race-day data 📝
The place: Brooklyn, Michigan
Approximate begin time: 3 p.m. ET | Full weekend schedule
TV/Radio: USA, NBC Sports activities App, MRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio | Full TV schedule
The purse: $7,125,085
Forecast: A slight probability of showers, then an opportunity of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. ET, in accordance with NOAA.gov | Climate tracker
Race distance: 200 laps | 400 miles
Levels: 45 | 120 | 200
Pit-road pace: 55 mph
Warning automobile pace: 65 mph
Michigan 101: Get the total lowdown
Beginning lineup: The place drivers will begin
Pit stalls: The place drivers will pit
UPDATE: Kurt Busch out for third week
Key issues to look at 🔑
Massive story line
Ford is sputtering a bit these days and is on a winless streak that dates again to Joey Logano’s victory at World Extensive Expertise Raceway at Gateway — eight races in the past. Heading to a observe within the producer’s yard, one it has traditionally dominated, is the proper week for them to choose up the tempo. Nonetheless preventing for a assured playoff berth, Kevin Harvick has 5 wins and practically 700 laps led in his 41 races right here. Defending race winner Ryan Blaney can also be chasing that elusive win on a crew the place he’s the one winless driver. These two drivers every have a powerful case to win Sunday, and Ford has not misplaced a race right here since 2017, on a powerful seven-race stretch. Will the Blue Oval proceed the streak with the debut of the Subsequent Gen automobiles?
Who’s sizzling? Who’s not?
Has the early season aggression lastly caught up with Ross Chastain? His final two races led to finishes of twenty seventh or worse, together with the controversial run-in with Denny Hamlin at Pocono Raceway. The fact is, drivers on the observe simply aren’t giving him many breaks. Nonetheless, the No. 1 automobile has been probably the most constant this season primarily based on uncooked pace. An enormous, 2-mile observe like Michigan ought to present Chastain and his Trackhouse Racing crew with a bit extra consolation this weekend as they intention to get again on observe.
Within the final three weeks, Bubba Wallace has been on hearth. Wallace and the No. 23 Toyota crew have registered three consecutive top-eight finishes, marking the primary time Wallace has achieved the feat in his Cup Collection profession. After some dangerous runs and early misfortune, Wallace and firm have discovered a groove down the ultimate stretch of the common season. However primarily based on level standings, they might want to safe a win to get into the playoffs. With alternatives to achieve Victory Lane dwindling down, search for them to be extra aggressive this weekend at Michigan.
Driving beneath the radar
If you happen to simply tuned in for the primary time final season, it may be straightforward to overlook how succesful Kevin Harvick is. Nonetheless looking for a end result to finish his 65-race winless streak, Harvick has not often been the favourite coming into a latest race weekend. However pump the brakes. The stats present that the No. 4 crew is beginning to discover its kind, with 4 prime 10s within the final seven races and a little bit of misfortune at Pocono and the Indy Highway Course costing the group stable finishes there, as nicely. Michigan is arguably Harvick’s finest race observe. And it’s also arguably his finest probability to win throughout this remaining slate of regular-season motion. Earlier than Blaney’s 2021 win, Harvick received three straight and three of the final 4. Don’t depend him out simply but.
It was the Toyotas who stole the present throughout Saturday’s two-round qualifying session, led by Bubba Wallace who earned his first profession Busch Gentle Pole Award. Joe Gibbs Racing drivers Christopher Bell and Kyle Busch filed in behind, trailed by Martin Truex Jr. and Denny Hamlin in seventh and ninth to spherical out a powerful top-10 displaying. Ty Gibbs, making his first Cup Collection begin on a standard oval, flashed wonderful pace and can roll off eleventh. Joey Logano and Austin Cindric put collectively the perfect showcase for the Blue Oval group, incomes the fourth and fifth beginning spots, respectively. Defending race winner Ryan Blaney will begin twenty fourth. | Full qualifying recap
Race-day staples ✅
Our largest items of the week — get coated for race day from all angles.
• Paint Scheme Preview: See the newest colours for Michigan | Choose a favourite
• Energy Rankings: Logano leapfrogs his means up the ladder | Up to date drivers rankings
• NASCAR betting: BetMGM odds for Sunday’s race | Underdogs, worth bets
• Fantasy Fastlane: Ford appears to be like to proceed dominant streak on house turf | High performs, sleepers
• Bubble Watch: Which drivers are near the cutline? | Learn extra
• Stacking Pennies: Denny Hamlin joins the podcast | Hearken to full interview
Catch the pack 💨
Learn up on the highest headlines from the week main as much as Sunday’s race.
• Downtrend: No. 48 crew chief Greg Ives opens up about summer season struggles | Learn extra
• Is it over?: Denny Hamlin chats about feud with Ross Chastain | Hear now
• Kyle Busch: Two-time champ opens up on household, extra | Learn extra
• Keselowski’s dedicated: Driver-owner standing robust by means of RFK’s rebuild | Learn extra
• Cup Collection debut: Austin Hill is about to drive the No. 33 for RCR at Michigan | Learn extra
• No enchantment: Entrance Row Motorsports drops penalty enchantment | Learn extra
• Unhappy information: Longtime driver Buddy Arrington dies at 84 | Learn extra
• Fireplace fits: Inside technological developments and security | Learn extra
• eNASCAR: Wilson wins All-Star Race on Chicago Avenue Course | Race recap
• ICYMI: Erik Jones will return to Petty GMS in 2023 | Learn extra
Get in on the motion 💰
Suppose you realize NASCAR? Put your mettle to the check with gaming, fantasy.
• BetMGM: Regardless of kind, Reddick enters Sunday as an underdog | Learn extra
• The Motion Community: The favourite wager to lock in for Sunday’s race | Learn extra
• Extra betting perception: Information to betting the Suárez vs. Wallace matchup | Be taught extra
• Play it LIVE: Full information to 2022 NASCAR Fantasy Stay sport | Get the FAQ
• Going all the best way: 2022 Cup Collection championship odds | See them right here
Michigan moments 🚘
The auto trade has robust ties to Michigan, so it isn’t shocking that NASCAR has a share of it.
• Do you keep in mind?: Most memorable moments at Michigan | Relive them right here
• Final yr: Ryan Blaney holds off Kyle Larson, William Byron | Full race recap
• Race Rewind: Video highlights, key moments from 2021 race | Watch now
Quick information ⏩
Exhausting-hitting, race-relevant statistics, delivered to you by the specialists at Racing Insights.
• Kevin Harvick has received 4 of the final six races at Michigan.
• JGR has eight Michigan wins however the final got here in August 2015 with Matt Kenseth (11 races since).
• Bubba Wallace is on a career-best three-race top-10 streak.
• Ford leads all producers at Michigan with 42 wins, 16 greater than Chevrolet‘s 26; Toyota has 5.
• Present factors chief Chase Elliott has 10 prime 10s at Michigan; his most at any observe.
Say what? 🎙
Notable quotes from the celebrities of the game heading into Sunday’s race.
• “We‘re simply approaching it the identical we’ve all yr. Our aim is to go there and win the race. If we will‘t try this, then we have to get the perfect end potential. I do trust going to Michigan primarily based on how our automobiles have been trending on the larger tracks these days. I really feel just like the Toyotas as a bunch have been getting lots stronger these days, so we must always have a possibility. We simply must profit from it.” — Martin Truex Jr., driver of the No. 19 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota
• “Each race weekend for NASCAR is a giant weekend, however particularly Michigan as our house race, as our producer, with our staff, our households, our executives. There‘s a number of stress on us to win each race, however particularly right here at Michigan in entrance of all of these individuals. It‘s vital for our groups, too. They realize it as nicely, so trying ahead to having everyone there and placing on an excellent race.” — Mark Rushbrook, International Director of Ford Efficiency Motorsports
• “You all the time wish to run good once you go house and I feel after we have a look at the remaining tracks, Michigan is one the place we really feel like we will win. So, a number of causes it‘s vital to us. I really feel prefer it‘s going to be a possibility for us to win and a possibility to win at house as nicely. We wish to benefit from each of these issues. Each time I am going to Michigan, I simply wish to run nicely for pals, household, everyone there. Hopefully we‘ll have an excellent displaying.” — Erik Jones, driver of the No. 43 Petty GMS Motorsports Chevrolet